Directions 10 steps | 45 Minutes
Prepare the vegetable broth. Cut the onion, carrot, potato and celery into big chunks. In a large pot over high heat, add the chopped vegetables and the olive oil. Cook for 1 minute.
Add the water to the pot and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the broth, reserving half of the boiled potato and the vegetable broth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Prepare the mushroom cream. In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, add the butter, garlic and mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes.
Increase the heat to high and add the white wine. Cook for 2 minutes.
In the bowl of a food processor or a blender, add half of the mushroom mixture and the reserved boiled potato. Blend until smooth. If the mushroom cream is too thick, add a spoon of vegetable broth to loosen. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Make the wild mushroom risotto. In the same pan used for the mushroom cream with half of the mushroom mixture, add one tablespoon of butter, and rice. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the rice granules become transparent around the edges.
Adjust the heat to medium-low and add one ladle of the reserved vegetable broth to the pan. Cook until most of the broth is absorbed and add another ladle full. Repeat until all of the broth is used, about 12 minutes. If using dried porcinis, use the reserved porcini water in addition to the broth.
Stir in the reserved mushroom cream. Cook until the mixture is creamy and the rice is tender but not mushy, about 5-8 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter and the Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- If using dried porcini mushrooms, use one ounce.
- If you are using dried porcini mushrooms, prepare the mushrooms by rehydrating the mushrooms in two cups of room temperature water for 20 minutes.
- Dried porcini mushrooms are more affordable and the reserved porcini water is a great addition to the wild mushroom risotto. However, fresh porcini mushrooms are heavenly.
- If you cannot find porcini mushrooms, substitute with any other variety of mushrooms.
- Looking for more risotto recipes? Check out:
FOOD FOR THOUGHT?
Leave a review or join the conversation.
13 Jul 2022
I made this recipe with Chef Davide in one of his cooking classes. It is amazing!Reply to this comment