Directions 10 steps | 70 Minutes
Set the Instant Pot to sauté. In a large bowl, season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
Add the flour and toss until evenly coated.
Add the vegetable oil to the pot. Add the short ribs to the pot and sear on all sides. Remove the short ribs and turn off the Instant Pot.
Add the chopped carrots, celery, onion, garlic, beef broth, red wine, balsamic vinegar, dried oregano and dried basil to the pot. Stir to combine.
Add the reserved short ribs to the pot. Secure the lid and double-check that the vent is closed. Select meat/stew or high pressure and set the timer for 1 hour.
When the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes before quick-releasing the pressure. Be careful not to stand over the cooker while the pressure is being released as the steam is very hot. Open the lid.
Remove the short ribs and shred.
Transfer the shredded short ribs to a deep skillet. Add the canned tomatoes and the cooking liquid and vegetables from the Instant pot to the skillet.
Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer to reduce the sauce.
Serve over polenta, mashed potatoes or stir in gnocchi or pasta. Enjoy!
- To make short ribs on the stove:
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to the pot over medium-high heat.
- Season and toss beef in flour.
- Sear beef and remove from pot.
- Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic to the pot and soften vegetables for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth, wine, balsamic vinegar and dried herbs, increasing beef stock to 1½ cups (reduced sodium is best).
- Return beef to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer covered for 2 - 2½ hours until fork tender.
- Remove beef from the pot. Shred beef and add to a deep skillet.
- Add the diced tomatoes, a small amount of cooking liquid and vegetables to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer to reduce.
- When reduced, serve over polenta or mashed potatoes, or add gnocchi or pasta to coat.