Directions 11 steps | 85 Minutes
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Measure and prep all ingredients. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish, with butter.
Prepare the pumpkin custard. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, dark brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and kosher salt.
Pour the pumpkin custard into the prepared baking dish. Spread evenly with a spatula.
Evenly spread the yellow cake mix over the pumpkin custard.
Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the yellow cake mix.
Evenly sprinkle the roughly chopped graham crackers and then the raw pecans. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is just set.
While the cake is baking, prepare the salted caramel sauce. In a medium saucepan, stir together the granulated sugar, light corn syrup and water. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook, undisturbed until the sugar reaches 350°F, about 10 minutes.
Slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the salted caramel sauce is smooth.
Take the sauce off of the heat and stir in the salted butter.
Once the butter is incorporated, stir in the kosher salt and vanilla extract. Let the salted caramel cool while the pumpkin dump cake finishes baking.
Let the pumpkin dump cake cool until warm or room temperature. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and warm salted caramel sauce. Enjoy!
- If you are out of pumpkin pie spice, you can also use 2½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon.
- This recipe uses Diamond Crystal kosher salt. Different kosher salt brands have varied crystal sizes and may affect the salinity of the recipe, so adjust accordingly.
- Instead of yellow cake mix, butter or spiced cake mix can be substituted.
- If you don’t have cake mix, you can make your own:
- In a food processor, combine 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, 1½ cups granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, and 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons.
- Pulse until the butter finely chopped, smaller than the size of peas. Use in place of the boxed cake mix.